Air Fryer Potato Chips are a chip lovers dream come true! Now you can have all the chips, and none of the guilt!
Potatoes and air fryers were meant to go together. Air frying makes the BEST Baked Potatoes, French Fries and “Roasted” Potatoes you will ever have!
Homemade Potato Chips
First of all YES, these crispy potato chips will take a bit of time. But YES, it will be so worth it! Homemade anything just tastes better, from homemade taco seasoning to pop tarts, they are so good! These air fryer potato chips are no exception. Crunchy, crispy, and a little bit salty, these chips are going to hit the spot!
Making the potato chips in the air fryer is a snack time game changer. Although they need a good spritz of oil to air fry, these are so much better than anything store bought. All the flavor, and crunch without the extra fat. These crispy chips are going to wow your family and friends. You have to try them!
Ingredients for the BEST Air Fryer Potato Chips
Only a few ingredients are needed to make air fryer potato chips. It’s so simple. Nothing you can’t pronounce is in them, no preservatives, just good wholesome chips!
- Russet Potatoes: This recipe calls for 2 medium sized, feel free to double it if you desire.
- Olive Oil Spray: You can also use canola or avocado oil spray.
- Sea Salt: I like the way this sticks nicely to the potato chips.
Making Potato Chips in the Air Fryer
These potato chips are not very hard at all, they just take a little bit of time. But they are so worth it. These air fryer chips are so good, you won’t believe they’re homemade.
- Slice: Using a mandolin thinly slice the potatoes. You can also slice the potatoes by hand, just make sure they are thin.
- Soak: Soak the potatoes in cold water with ice for 15 minutes and then drain. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place in Air Fryer: Spray the bottom of your air fryer with the olive oil spray. Lay the potatoes in an even layer in the air fryer so they aren’t overlapping. Spray the top with the olive oil spray and then sprinkle with salt.
- Air Fry: Cook at 360 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Check your potatoes after 5 minutes and stir every 5 minutes until they are golden brown. Garnish with parsley and sprinkle with more salt if needed.
Why Do I need to Soak My Potatoes?
Soaking potatoes before air frying or even deep fat frying is actually quite common. It allows the excess starch to wash away from the potatoes. This in turn makes sure your fries, or chips don’t stick together and they reach maximum crispiness.
It’s important to use cold water too. Warm or hot water can actually cause the starches to activate, making them gummy and sticky. Soaking also helps with oxidation that can turn the potatoes brown.
Tips and Variations for Crispy Potato Chips
- Dry: Make sure you dry off your potato slices completely. This way they don’t steam first, they just cook and crisp!
- Check it: As you check them make sure you remove any that are done, so they don’t burn while the others finishing crisping.
- Thinner is better: If you have a mandolin, use it, it’ll make sure they’re good and even and thin. If you don’t, you can still make these potato chips. Try to keep the slices as even as possible. They will be thicker so don’t hesitate to cook them a bit longer.
- Potatoes: Use Russets or Yukon, or Golden potatoes for the best results. Red potatoes have too much starch to get them good and crisp.
- Oil: Make sure the oil is high smoke, canola and avocado are also good options. Avoid aerosol type sprays with additives, they can gum up your air fryer over time.
- Flavor Variations: Just about every time I turn around there is new flavor of potato chip out there. Feel free to experiment with your own flavors. Add BBQ seasoning, ranch, chili or chipotle chili powder. Even make your own cheddar potato chips with cheese powder. YUM! Toss the flavorings on the potato chips as soon they’re done cooking.
Storing Easy Air Fryer Potato Chips
These will store pretty easily. Keep them from gathering moisture. Keep in an airtight plastic container for best results at room temperature. I do recommend eating them immediately however, so, so good!
More Air Fryer Loving Recipes to Try!
Air Frying is the new way to cook! It’s basically a convection oven that fits on your counter. Because it uses circulating air to do all the “frying” it’s so much healthier for you. You don’t need to add a ton of extra oil or have your food go swimming in it to get that crispy crust. Cooking with an air fryer is also usually a faster way to cook. You have to try these tried and true recipes the next time you get your air fryer out!
- The Perfect Air Fryer Pizza
- The Best Juicy Air Fryer Hamburger
- Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- Seriously Amazing Air Fryer Hand Pies
- Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
Air Fryer Potato Chips
- 2 medium sized russet potatoes
- olive oil spray
- sea salt
Spray the bottom of your air fryer with the olive oil spray. Lay the potatoes in an even layer in the air fryer so they aren’t overlapping. Spray the top with the olive oil spray and then sprinkle with salt.
Cook at 360 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Check your potatoes after 5 minutes and stir every 5 minutes until they are golden brown. Garnish with parsley and sprinkle with more salt if needed.
The Recipe Critic
Leave a Reply