- 8 ounces baby arugula or baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 6 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, to taste
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- A 9-inch pre-baked pastry crust
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere, Emmental or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Thaw purchased crust for 10 minutes. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden. After pre-baking purchased crust, lower oven temperature to 375°F.
- In a large skillet on medium heat,cook bacon pieces until crispy. Drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon drippings. Add chopped shallots and saute until tender. Add chopped arugula, saute until just wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, add balsamic vinegar and toss to combine.
- In prepared pastry, layer arugula mixture, then crispy bacon pieces. In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together heavy cream, eggs and salt and pepper. Stir in Gruyere cheese. Pour this mixture over the arugula bacon layers. Bake until puffed and golden, about 35 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing.