Thick, rich, and flavorful, this classic chili recipe is a MUST make! Filled with lean ground beef, a mix of beans, ripe tomatoes, fresh seasonings and it’s topped with all your favorites!
Classic traditional chili is one of my very favorite recipes to make. This by far can feed a crowd and made within 30 minutes. It is a dump and go kind of chili and uses only one pot to make. It is so simple and has SO much flavor.
You can’t go wrong with this chili recipe. It is simple to make and only uses one pot. This delicious thick and hearty chili is full of flavor and a family favorite. My family loves to make this recipe year round. It is perfect in the winter to warm up but also a summer time favorite during BBQ season. It is so versatile and has all your pantry staple ingredients that makes this even easier to make. Get ready to WOW your family with this AMAZING chili recipe!
Ingredients to Make Chili:
This is an ultimate chili recipe with loads of flavor and an easy to make recipe. In 30 minutes this chili will be ready to feed a crowd!
- Olive Oil: This is used to sauté the onion, bell pepper, cloves creating a flavor.
- Onion: Dice up the onion the best you can without too many tears.
- Green Bell Pepper: Cut into small chunks depending on your preference.
- Garlic Cloves: I prefer fresh cloves but you are welcome to use the jarred minced garlic for substitute.
- Ground Beef: Lean ground beef gives flavor but also less fat and grease.
- Beef Broth: Adds in flavor and liquid while cooking.
- Tomato: Sauce and diced tomatoes come in a can for a quick dump in the pot.
- Beans: Pinto and kidney bean give a good mixture of tender and soft beans.
- Seasonings: Chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne mixes together giving the chili a sweet, spicy and savory flavoring.
How to Make Good Homemade Chili:
Dump and go recipe that uses only one pot! It is perfect for a quick meal during a busy week or let simmer on a weekend when feeding a crowd. Bring this chili to any potluck or gathering and watch it disappear in no time.
- Sauté and Cook Beef: In a large pot add the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until almost tender. Brown the ground beef and cook and crumble until brown.
- Add in Remaining Ingredients: Add in the beef broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, pinto beans, kidney beans, chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne.
- Boil: Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until it starts to thicken and flavors combine about 30 minutes.
So many fun ways to make this chili thicker, spicier or even adding in cocoa powder! That is a delicious treat in your chili. Change up some of the ingredients and you may end up with a white chicken chili which is also another popular chili our family loves. Try these variations to see what you come up with!
- Vegetables: Potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms or zucchini are all great add ins for sautéing at the beginning.
- Meat: Substitute the beef for turkey, steak, Italian sausage or chicken.
- Seasonings: Try using taco seasoning for a tex-tex taste.
- Smokey Taste: Adobe sauce oor paprika or a liquid smoke for a smoky taste.
- Beef Broth: Don’t have beef broth? Chicken or even water will help keep it thick and will simmer well with either liquid.
- Sugar: Sounds crazy, right! Sugar adds a bit of sweetness. Cocoa powder will also add subtle hint of sweetness with a savory taste of chocolate. It is a must try! Just a teaspoon will do the trick!
Go wild and add all the toppings you love to make this chili even better! From a sweet avocado, creamy sour cream, or a crunchy chip is just what this chili needs. All the favorites blend together so well with this chili recipe.
Here are some of our families staple toppings to try:
- Sour Cream: Add a dollop over top.
- Onions: Chopped up and sprinkled on top.
- Shredded Cheese: This will melt over top the chili
- Jalapeños: Spicy deliciousness
- Cilantro: Looks good and adds a great flavoring
- Avocado: Sliced and add in
- Tortilla Strips: A crunchy bite
- Frito Chips: Pile them on!
- Lime Wedges: Squeeze over top
Storing Chili Properly
Refrigerate: It is best to keep the chili in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the refrigerator once cooled after cooking. Store in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days long. Warming it up in a saucepan or microwave.
Can you freeze chili? Yes! It is another perk about this recipe. Once it is cooled completely add it to a large ziplock bag letting out of all the air. Laying flat, place the chili in the freezer for 1 month long.
Warming up: When ready to reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat in a saucepan or microwave until warmed through.
Best Ever Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
In a large pot add the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté until almost tender. Add in the ground beef and cook and crumble until brown.
Add in the beef broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, pinto beans, kidney beans, chili powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne.
Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until it starts to thicken and flavors combine about 30 minutes.
Updated on May 6, 2022
The Recipe Critic