This staple blueberry banana bread recipe has the perfect combination of bananas and fresh blueberries. It is so moist, delicious, and super simple to make!
Banana bread is the best. I love that it works as both a breakfast and a dessert! If you need more warm, delicious banana bread in your life, try my strawberry, cinnamon cream cheese, and award-winning banana bread recipes! You won’t regret it!
Quick and Easy Blueberry Banana Bread Recipe
This post goes out to all of my sweet bread lovers out there! I’m always so happy when we have banana bread at the house. It’s so hard to refrain from eating the whole loaf in one sitting. I always like to put a little honey butter on top for a treat that is truly divine. Honestly, though, the flavor of this blueberry banana bread is so good, you don’t even need any butter on top! It’s so moist, sweet, and flavorful on its own. It starts with my all-time favorite banana bread recipe. Then, we add some juicy blueberries! Blueberries and bananas make the perfect combination.
And that combination tastes even better surrounded by warm, moist bread! This banana bread is so buttery, rich, and crumbles perfectly in each bite. And the addition of blueberries makes each bite flavorful and juicy! This is one of my favorite kinds of bread to make as a gift for friends and family. It gets compliments wherever it goes! (And speaking of gift-giving, banana bread muffins and bars are also quick and delicious!) It’s time to take advantage of the end of blueberry season and make some homemade bread. You’ll go crazy over the warm, mouthwatering result!
Ingredients for Blueberry Banana Bread
Bananas and blueberries are really all you need here! This recipe uses so many staple ingredients; no grocery trip necessary! It’s perfect for when I have overripe bananas on hand and my sweet tooth hits. All measurements can be found below!
- Butter: You can use salted or unsalted butter here. Just make sure it is softened so your batter mixes together smoothly!
- Granulated Sugar: Granulated sugar is going to give your banana bread its perfect sweetness. It also melts down to create a smooth texture when baked.
- Eggs: Necessary for moisture and to bind ingredients together.
- Bananas: This is the perfect opportunity to use ripe or even overripe bananas! The softer the better.
- Flour: Flour is used for tossing your blueberries in. It will keep them from sinking in your loaf.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda will keep your bread light and fluffy.
- Salt: To enhance overall flavor, salt is a must!
- Blueberries: Fresh blueberries work best here, but may be expensive or hard to find if they’re not in season. Feel free to substitute for frozen blueberries!
How to Make the Best Blueberry Banana Bread
Making this delicious bread is as straightforward as it gets. It’s the kind of recipe that both novice and advanced bakers can enjoy! With how insanely good it is, you’ll be coming back for more!
- Preheat Oven, Prep Pan: To begin, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray two 9×5 loaf pans with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Mix Butter and Sugar: In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add Bananas to Sugar Mixture: In a small bowl, beat eggs using a fork. Then, add eggs to sugar mixture and beat until combined. Add mashed bananas and mix until combined.
- Sift and Mix Dry Ingredients: Sift all dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add sifted dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix until flour is just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX! Fold in floured covered blueberries.
- Pour Into Pans: Pour batter into prepared loaf pans and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Your bread should be done when the edges are slightly brown or a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing from loaf pans.
Tips for Making the Best Banana Bread Possible
Use these tips and tricks to make sure your blueberry banana bread is the talk of the town! They’re super easy and can help you get the best result every time. You will adore the flavors you create!
- Use Ripe Bananas: If the peel of your bananas has turned brown, don’t throw them out! Overripe bananas are perfect for bread-making. The longer bananas have to ripen, the sweeter they become. They also have a softer texture which is perfect for making a smooth dough.
- Bananas Not Ripe Enough: On the flipside, if your bananas are too green, there’s a method to make them softer. You can bake them for 15-20 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Once cooled, the insides should be nice and soft!
- Flavors and Toppings: You can get creative with your flavor combinations in this recipe. Other berries like raspberries and blackberries are absolutely divine! Citrusy things like orange zest, lemon zest, or even lemon curd pair perfectly with the smooth, fruity flavor of blueberry. Adding a glaze or icing, drizzled homemade caramel, or chopped nuts can also enhance your banana bread’s flavor.
- Don’t Overmix: Overmixing your batter can cause gluten to develop. This makes your bread become too dense when baked.
- Measure Flour: This is one of the most common mistakes when making baked goods. If you add too much flour, your bread will become hard and dry.
- Let Cool Completely: Be sure to let your loaf cool down completely before cutting. The banana mixture needs time to set! I like to wait at least 15 minutes before slicing up.
Storing Leftover Blueberry Banana Bread
If you have any leftovers of this bread, I’m proud. It never lasts long at my house! Here are some tips for keeping it fresh for as long as possible.
- At Room Temperature: Keeping your bread in the fridge will dry it out, so storing it at room temperature is best! Make sure it is tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. It will stay good for 3-4 days.
- In the Freezer: This bread freezes really well! When wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, it will keep for up to 3 months. Thaw bread overnight in the fridge before serving. You can pop a slice in the microwave for 30 seconds for that freshly-baked effect.
A Reader’s Review
Blueberry Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup softened (1 stick butter)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries tossed in 1 Tablespoon of flour
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spray two 9×5 loaf pans with nonstick spray. Set aside.
In a small bowl, beat eggs using a fork. Add eggs to the sugar mixture and beat until combined. Add mashed bananas and mix until combined.
Sift all dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add sifted dry ingredients to the banana mixture and mix until flour is just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX! Fold in floured covered blueberries.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pans and bake at 375F for 15 minutes. REDUCE heat to 350F and bake for an additional 30 minutes until edges are slightly brown or until come out clean. Let cool completely before removing from loaf pans.
Originally Posted on April 15, 2016
The Recipe Critic