Chickpea tacos are a great way to get your daily protein and all the Tex-Mex flavors that you crave! These flavorful tacos are loaded with fresh veggies and topped off with a creamy cilantro drizzle!
Also known as garbanzo beans, chickpeas are a versatile superfood that can be used in a bunch of different recipes! Crispy air fryer chickpeas, hummus, and Southwest chickpea salad are just a few tasty recipes to start you out with.
Easy and Fresh Chickpea Taco Recipe
Healthy eating can be tough! My mind says salad, but my heart says tacos! These chickpea tacos are the answer we’ve all been looking for. It’s a way to curb that craving for street tacos while also giving your body the nutrition it needs. Each flour tortilla is topped with creamy avocado pieces, tomato, crunchy red onion, jalapenos, and cojita cheese. You can swap out any of these toppings to your liking! To top it all off, I add some homemade creamy cilantro ranch drizzle on top. It gives it the perfect punch of zesty, creamy flavor! It’s so amazing! You’re going to love adding this recipe to your meal rotations.
If you haven’t already started incorporating chickpeas into your diet, you should definitely try! They have a super versatile, mild flavor that works in a lot of different cuisines. Not to mention, they’re loaded with protein and vitamins! In fact, in a 1-cup serving of cooked chickpeas, you’ll get nearly 15 grams of protein! The other great thing about these chickpea tacos is that they’re super quick to throw together. Tasty tacos bursting with flavor in less than 15 minutes! It’s the perfect lunch and will keep you full all day!
What Are Chickpeas?
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a legume! Legumes are edible seeds, and include things like beans, lentils, and peas. Chickpeas are a superfood loaded with vitamins, protein, and fiber. You’ve probably already had them in hummus!
Ingredients for Chickpea Tacos
4 easy ingredients is all it takes to make the foundation of these tacos. From there, you just add all of your favorite toppings! These chickpea tacos are the perfect lunch. So quick and easy! If you’re looking for measurements, they can all be found below!
- Canned Chickpeas: You can also find these labeled as garbanzo beans.
- Olive Oil: Used to add a little moisture and flavor while the chickpeas are stir-fried.
- Homemade Taco Seasoning: You can use your favorite packaged taco seasoning here, or make it from scratch! It’s super easy and tastes delicious. Find my full recipe here.
- Small Flour Tortillas: Homemade tortillas are the key to making the most delicious tacos! You can make them from scratch with just a few simple ingredients. Find the recipe here!
- Avocado: A must! Avocados are so creamy and delicious! They’re also a great source of healthy fats.
- Tomato: I dice mine into little pieces for bits of juicy flavor.
- Red Onion: Red onion is a great way to add a little crunch to your chickpea tacos. They’re loaded with sharp flavor, too!
- Jalapeno: Chopped jalapenos add the perfect spice.
- Cilantro: Add cilantro on top for some nice aromatics!
- Cotija Cheese: Cotija is a delicious cheese that tastes savory and milky. It can sometimes be tricky to find- feta and parmesan are great substitutes!
- Creamy Cilantro Ranch: This sauce, in my opinion, is what brings the tacos together! It’s the perfect blend of creamy and zesty!
How to Make Chickpea Tacos
This healthy lunch is as easy as it gets. Tasty tacos loaded with flavor in a pinch! Looking for more healthy, quick and easy recipes? You can find my full list here!
- Prepare Chickpeas: First, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Then, pat with a paper towel to dry.
- Stir-Fry: In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, add the chick peas, olive oil and taco seasoning. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until the chick peas are crispy.
- Assemble: Next, add the chickpea mixture to the tortilla. Top with favorite toppings!
Tips and Variations
Here are a few things I like to do to make my chickpea tacos as delicious as possible! The sky is the limit when it comes to fillings and sauces for these tacos. You’re going to love what you create!
- Drain and Dry: Be sure to drain your chickpeas completely and pat them dry before cooking. This will prevent them from becoming soggy when cooked.
- Make Your Own Tortillas: The key to getting tacos that taste like they’re from your favorite taco truck is to make them from scratch. You’ll be amazed at how much better your tacos taste when they have the perfect foundation! They only take a few ingredients to make and are super easy. Find my recipe here for the softest, most delicious tortillas ever!
- More Toppings: Add your favorite Tex-Mex toppings here! Sometimes I like to switch it up and add guacamole, salsa, or pico de gallo!
- Sauces: Not a cilantro fan? I’ve got you covered! You can easily swap out the cilantro ranch for plain ranch, chipotle sauce, enchilada sauce, or even mango lime salsa for a zesty twist!
I like to store toppings and tortillas separately for best results! Here’s how to keep them on hand to make the most delicious lunch in a snap!
- Homemade Tortillas: Your tortillas can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. I like to keep them in a Ziploc bag for easy access. Perfect for throwing together wraps!
- Chopped Veggies: As a general rule of thumb, I will keep my chopped vegetables in plastic containers in the fridge no longer than 3 days. Always check the freshness of each one before using. To keep avocados from browning, spritz a little lemon juice on them!
- 2 (15 ounce cans) chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 4-5 small flour tortillas
- Red Onion
- Cotija Cheese
- Creamy Cilantro Ranch
Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pat with a paper towel to dry.
In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add the chickpeas, olive oil, and taco seasoning. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until the chickpeas are crispy.
To assemble the tacos:
Add the chickpea mixture to the tortilla. Top with favorite toppings!
The Recipe Critic
Leave a Reply