- 2 pounds chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 inches large onions, sliced half moons
- 20 inches baby carrots, cut half
- 3 inches celery stalks, cut into one pieces
- 8 ounces beer
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat a cast iron skillet or dutch oven to medium high heat, and preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Trim excess fat off the chuck roast and season all over with salt and pepper, then coat the meat with canola oil, rubbing all sides of it.
- Sear the meat in the skillet, browning for several minutes on all sides.
- Remove the meat and set aside, then add the vegetables. Saute for several minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with beer and let reduce for several minutes.
- Add the beef back to the pan and add the thyme, stock and Worcestershire.
- Cover the pan and place in the oven and let cook for 6-8 hours, until the meat is fork tender. Serve with steamed potatoes or crusty bread.