- 2 cans canned chicken
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 1 Stalk Celery, diced
- 1/2 Cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons madras Curry powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 handful red grapes, quartered
- Salad greens
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (to taste)
- Strain the water from the cans of chicken and place the chicken in large mixing bowl.
- Add Blue Plate mayonnaise to taste. Trust us, we have tried this recipe with several other brands of mayo and Blue Plate has the best flavor. Another acceptable option would be homemade mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste, go easy on the seasoning at this point because the main seasoning will occur at the end when you add the spices. Similarly, start with less mayo and add more if necessary as you add the veggies.
- Drop in the diced celery, carrot, cucumber and grapes and mix well. Once all the ingredients have been combined, add additional mayonnaise if you prefer a wetter consistency to the salad.
- Once the consistency is right, add in Madras Curry powder and Tumeric powder. These are they key ingredients, so make sure you are using high quality spices. You want to use fresh ground spices from a local market or a more specialty grocery store like Whole Foods or Fresh Market, if possible. Curry can pack a punch so start with a small amount of each spice and gradually add to taste. Which means you should be taste-testing as you go along to make the flavor and consistency personal to your liking. Don’t be afraid for it to get a little on the spicy side, the coolness of the cucumber and sweetness of the grapes and carrots balances out the spice of the curry perfectly.
- If possible, pop your mixing bowl into the fridge for an hour to let the flavors marry.
- Serve of the Curry Chicken Salad on top of salad greens, no dressing necessary.
Leave a Reply