- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1 egg
- 2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes, rinsed and dried
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, divided
- cup chopped green onions
- 5 1/2 cups sharp provolone, grated (or fontina)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, cornstarch and one-fourth teaspoon salt. Pulse the mixture until it is in very tiny bits.
- Add one egg and pulse until a dough forms. This dough is rather tough but, it does come together nicely.
- Gather the dough into a ball. Then press the dough in to the tart pan, covering every bit. (You could, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle, if you want.) Crimp the edges, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roughly chop 1/4 cup of the basil leaves. Stack and roll the other basil leaves and cut them into thin ribbons.
- Mix the cheese, mayo, chopped basil, green onions and pepper in a bowl. Spread the mixture over the bottom of the tart shell.
- Top with grape tomatoes and press them down. Bake for 35 minutes—until the crust edges are golden-brown and the cheese is bubbling up.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup sliced basil ribbons. Serve warm. Serves 6-8.
Leave a Reply