Cream cheese frosting that is insanely delicious and piped to perfection is exactly what this recipe is! It tastes amazing, looks beautiful AND it’s super easy to make!
A cupcake is only as good as its frosting. Let me tell you, this frosting is SOOO GOOD! It is sweet and the texture is creamy and smooth! If you want some ideas for what to use this frosting on, try my favorite Strawberry Cupcakes, Carrot Cake Cupcakes, and Pumpkin Cake.
Why Cream Cheese Frosting is the BEST
If I’m being completely honest, this cream cheese frosting is so delicious that I could eat it with just a spoon! But… I will settle for heaping amounts of it on cakes and cupcakes too! It is my absolute favorite frosting of choice for every cake, cupcake, or cookie that I make. The flavor has more depth than buttercream. It is sweet with that tiny tangy flavor of cream cheese, which is what makes it delicious! The texture is thicker and it tastes SOOO GOOD without being overly sweet! I always have the ingredients at my house so it’s a no-brainer why I choose it every time!
Because this cream cheese frosting is so simple, you don’t have to plan ahead and you can whip this up at the last minute! Recipes like this are so nice to have on hand for that very reason! It takes 5 minutes to gather up and put these 5 ingredients together. The part that takes the longest is spreading or piping it onto your dessert! And as a bonus, you can even make it ahead and store it in your fridge or freezer! This makes it even easier because you can have it ready to go for whenever you might need it! Since you can use it on so many desserts, you should make some extra just in case!
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
You only need a few, simple ingredients and this cream cheese frosting will completely transform anything that you using it on! It is SO easy and takes less than 5 minutes! See the recipe card below for a list of exact measurements!
- Cream cheese: Make sure that you eave your cream cheese out on your counter for a few minutes to soften it first.
- Butter: Use unsalted, softened butter. Adding the salt later keeps you in control of the flavor of the frosting!
- Vanilla extract: This will add in a bit of vanilla flavoring without it being overpowering.
- Salt: This will draw out your other flavors and keep the frosting from getting TOO sweet.
- Powdered sugar: You use powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar because this dissolves quickly and without heat!
How to Make Frosting
Making this cream cheese frosting is quick and it mixes up in no time! You will definitely want to make some extra while you are at it to store for later!
- Beat: In the bowl of a mixer, beat the cream cheese and unsalted butter together until smooth. Scrape down the bowl and beat again for about 10 seconds to make sure everything is completely incorporated.
- Add and mix: Add the vanilla, salt and powdered sugar. Mix on low until the powdered sugar is moistened enough for you to increase the speed without it making a mess. Beat until smooth.
- Pipe or spread: Use to frost cupcakes, cakes, cinnamon rolls and so much more!
Cream Cheese Frosting Tips
Cream cheese frosting is a huge hit at my house! We love it on everything! To make the texture and taste just perfect, I have come up with a few helpful tips that will perfectly complement an endless amount of desserts!
- Room temperature ingredients: Make sure you start with cream cheese and butter that is room temperature. This will help the two combine to make a smooth, creamy frosting without any clumps of butter or cream cheese.
- Mix it slowly: When adding the powdered sugar make sure you start slowly! Go slow until it’s moistened and then begin to increase the speed.This way, you don’t end up with a cloud of powdered sugar in the air covering everything in your kitchen!
- Thicker frosting: If you decide that you want the frosting to be a little thicker, add 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar at a time until you reach your desired consistency!
- Piping the frosting: This cream cheese frosting is perfect for piping onto cupcakes! Just make sure that you mix it extrememly well so that you don’t have any clumps that will clog up your piping tips.
Storing Your Frosting
Cream cheese frosting is super tasty but susceptible to heat and melting. Because of this, it needs to be kept in the fridge until just about time to use. Whatever you have frosted will also need to be stored in the fridge!
- Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days. Bring to room temperature before use.
- Freezer: You can freeze cream cheese frosting for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Allow it to thaw in the fridge before bringing it to room temperature on the counter. If it is a little too soft, mix more powdered sugar into it until it is as stiff as you would like!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
In the bowl of a mixer, beat the cream cheese and unsalted butter together until smooth. Scrape down the bowl and beat again for about 10 seconds to make sure everything is completely incorporated.
Add the vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar. Mix on low until the powdered sugar is moistened enough for you to increase the speed without it making a mess. Beat until smooth.
Use to frost cupcakes, cakes, cinnamon rolls and so much more!
The Recipe Critic