- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 14 ounces ½ cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados, diced
- Bag of tortilla chips
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over high. Add onions, 1/3 cup cilantro and garlic, sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and spices, then bring to a boil.
- Add the broth, carrots and chicken. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook another 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in half the cheese and 1 cup crushed tortilla chips.
- Ladle into bowls and top with remaining cheese, fresh cilantro, fresh avocado, and more tortilla chip pieces. Serves 4+.
- This is a great recipe for leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken. Just add it in at the very end to warm it up!
Leave a Reply