- 5 basil leaves, julienned
- black pepper
- 16 ounces coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Small handful basil leaves, torn
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 – inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 fresh jalapenos, sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lime, zested
- 1 mango, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Make the salsa: Stir all ingredients in a medium bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve dish. You can make this up to a day in advance.
- Make the chicken: Whisk to combine all remaining ingredients, except for the chicken, in a mixing bowl.
- Place the chicken in a large shallow bowl, pour three quarters of the marinade on top. Toss to coat.
- Cover the chicken bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours, refrigerated. Refrigerate the remaining 1/4 of the marinade separately.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat. Use tongs or a fork to remove the chicken from the marinade and place in an even layer in the pan.
- Flip the chicken after about 3-4 minutes. Let the mixture cook for another 7 or so minutes, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, add the reserved marinade, bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour over the cooked chicken or shrimp and serve with rice cooked in half coconut milk/half water with zested lime. Top the plate with the basil-mango salsa you'd made earlier.
Leave a Reply