Sweet and tangy all at the same time, this thousand island dressing is just what every salad needs! It’s creamy and packed with delicious flavor. You will want to put it on everything!
Homemade salad dressings are a must at our house! Their flavor is stronger, and they are so much more delicious! Try out my homemade ranch dressing, this honey mustard dressing or my very favorite homemade blue cheese dressing! They will take any meal to the next level.
What is Thousand Island Dressing?
Thousand Island dressing was made in the Thousand Islands, which borders New York and Canada. There are 1,864 islands in the region, and it’s absolutely stunning! There are many stories of its origin and who came up with it, but once it was made, it was found and placed on the menu at the Waldorf Astoria, a New York City hotel, and has been enjoyed by everyone ever since!
Thousand island dressing is made up of mayonnaise, ketchup, a few spices, some onion, and some relish. It really packs a punch of flavor which is why it is so delicious! This recipe can be used on hamburgers, salads, or even as a dipping sauce for french fries! If you haven’t tried it before, this is a must. And if you are a long-time lover of thousand island dressing, then this homemade version will knock any store-bought bottle out of the park!
Ingredients in Thousand Island Dressing
This delicious and classic dressing only uses a few ingredients. So please stop buying it from the store and make it at home. It’s SO much better! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Mayonnaise: The mayo acts as the base of the dressing and will make it creamy.
- Ketchup: This adds in a lot of flavor. If you like mayonnaise and ketchup, then you must try this fry sauce!
- Lemon: you can use lemon juice from a bottle, but I prefer it from a real lemon. Fresh is always best!
- Relish: This adds a slight tang, but it’s too overwhelming.
- Diced Onion: The onion adds texture and flavor. It’s a must!
- Garlic Powder: Garlic is delicious and blends well with the other flavors.
- Salt: This will enhance all of the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Paprika: I love the taste of sweet paprika!
How to Make Thousand Island Dressing
Homemade dressings are so easy, and this one is no exception! It takes about 5 minutes to whip up, and then you can enjoy it on so many different things!
- Stir: In a bowl, add the mayonnaise, ketchup, lemon juice, relish, diced onion, garlic powder, salt, and paprika, and stir until combined.
- Serve: Top the dressing on your favorite salad or hamburger.
The best part about making your own thousand island dressing is that you can easily change it up and make it different every time! Here are a few more additions that you can make to this dressing to make it perfect for you!
- Tomato Paste: If you don’t have ketchup, you can use tomato paste instead. It gives a bit deeper tomato flavor.
- Egg: To change things up, hard boil an egg, dice it up and add it to the recipe! It gives a delicious taste and adds some great texture.
- Add some heat: If you love the zesty flavor of thousand island dressing but really want it to have some heat then add in a dash of some sriracha or tabasco sauce! It’s so good!
- Relish: If you don’t have sweet pickle relish on hand then you can try some dill instead! It gives off a whole different flavor but is equally delicious.
How to Store Homemade Dressing
Once you have made your homemade thousand island dressing, go ahead and put it in an airtight container and store it in your fridge. It will last about a week… Assuming that you haven’t eaten it before then!
Creamy Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 1/2 cups Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- Juice from Half a Lemon
- 2 Tablespoons Relish
- 3 Tablespoons Diced Onion
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
In a bowl add the mayonnaise, ketchup, lemon juice, relish, diced onion, garlic powder, salt, and paprika, and stir until combined.
Top the dressing on your favorite salad or hamburger.
The Recipe Critic